Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Art Bell Dead At 72

“Art was a pioneer in broadcasting taking overnight talk radio to new heights which generated huge audiences,” Jackson said. “He was a master at creating spell binding, intriguing, sometimes frightening and thoroughly compelling talk radio.”

I met a girl is a Red Deer seedy bar and went to her house in the country. I drove home before dawn the next morning and Art Bell was playing recordings people made at supposed haunted houses. I was lost on dark country roads and was freaking the fuck out at those voices. I have never been more frightened in all my life. I had to stop the car and lock the doors and freak out until dawn so I could find east and drive home. So fuck you Art Bell. You lunatic. I hope your head will be preserved by some alien species because I know that would have made you happy. I listened to a lot of overnight radio in my life so I heard Art's looney band of balloon juice on many a night. Despite how goofy the guest, Art took the guy and his nutbag theories seriously and he attracted other goonie birds like sugar attracts diabetics. No wonder he was on the air for decades. Thanks Space Man. I hope you were right about SOMETHING just because it would blow my mind.

 
 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's an interesting story from your murky past!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yes, but in the murky past I have really good sex stories with cute biker girls who didn't wear bras and didn't need to either. But that night with the ghost recordings almost scared me straight. But then I got another ride on the back of a Harley two weeks later so I learned NOTHING. At least she had me bail in the tall grass while leading the cops on a chase. I miss the little buttercup.

DrGoat said...

We all have our stories of days past. Thanks for sharing that one. Sounds like a rousing good time you had as a yute.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

i miss them more and more each day.